South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

James W. Hamer House, Dillon County (1253 Harllees Bridge Rd., Little Rock vicinity)
S1081771701701 S1081771701702 S1081771701703 S1081771701704 S1081771701705
Facade Right Oblique Left Oblique Portico Portico Detail
S1081771701706 S1081771701707 S1081771701708 S1081771701709 S1081771701710
Main Entrance Facade
Right Side Porch
2nd Floor Portico
Bracket Detail
Portico Columns
Left Rear Oblique
S1081771701711 S1081771701712 S1081771701713 S1081771701714 S1081771701715
Rear Elevation Interior
Central Stairs
Reception Hall
Reception Room
Drawing Room
S1081771701716 S1081771701717 S1081771701718 S1081771701719 S1081771701720
2nd Floor Hall
Pump House and
Cattle Barn
Machinery Barn

The James W. Hamer House, built in 1910-11, is significant for its association with James Willis Hamer, farmer, state representative, and state senator of Dillon County during its first half-century, and as an outstanding and exuberant example of Neo-Classical Revival residential architecture of the first quarter of the twentieth century, designed by an unknown architect and executed by master builder and craftsman James Edward Diebler. Hamer, a Democrat, was elected to the House of Representatives in 1916, and served two terms in 1917-18 and 1919-1920, then two additional terms in 1925-26 and in 1929-1930. Hamer was elected to the Senate in 1930, and served four consecutive terms from 1931-1938. The house is a large two-story brick-veneered Neo-Classical Revival style residence set upon a rough stuccoed brick foundation and a beveled stone water table. Square in plan, it features four symmetrically-placed exterior end brick chimneys that rise through the boxed cornice, entablature and soffit and tower above the massive hipped roofline to terminate with corbeled caps. The house's exterior consists of dense, highly-refined, red finish brick with thin and precise white mortar joints. The most dominant element of the house's three-bay wide facade is the monumental, Ionic order portico with full entablature and pediment supported by two sets of paired brick columns with cast stone composite bases and plinths. The most unusual characteristics of the monumental columns are the oversized Ionic capitals with exaggerated volutes and the placement of those capitals perpendicularly to the portico's facade. Set within the context of rural farmland, the house is surrounded by a yard that still exhibits some elements of a designed landscape. To the northeast of the house and its several contemporaneous outbuildings, structures, and farm-related ancillary buildings is a mature pecan orchard that was likely planted by ca. 1920. Listed in the National Register September 21, 2007.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.