|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
John Hays Farmstead, Dillon County (1251 S.C. Hwy. 38 West, Latta vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Main Entrance||Porch Detail|| Interior
Hand Hewn Logs
The John Hayes Farmstead is significant as an excellent example of the ways in which a Pee Dee cotton farmstead, from its main house to its agricultural outbuildings and its fields, evolved and was altered over time from the late eighteenth century well into the twentieth century. The main house, constructed for John Hayes II in 1791, has architectural integrity dating from its extensive renovations and expansion as a Craftsman/Bungalow house, undertaken by Hayes’s grandson John C. Hayes, Jr., in 1915. The John Hayes Farmstead is also locally significant for its association with the Hayes family, which a local historian described in 1902 as “among our best citizens.” The farmstead produced cotton and other subsistence crops here – in what was originally Marion County but has been part of Dillon County since 1910 – for more than one hundred and fifty years. It is still a working farm, producing tobacco, corn, grains, and soybeans. The farmstead is approximately eight acres of the 205 remaining acres of an original eighteenth century land grant that developed into a 2,000 acre plantation. In 1988 the John Hayes Farmstead was recognized by the U.S. Department of Agriculture as a Bicentennial Farm. The following contributing outbuildings were constructed at various times since the main house’s construction: sweet potato curing house, three barns, smokehouse, wash house, and pump house. Listed in the National Register October 4, 2005.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.