|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Smith Barn, Dillon County (near int. of S.C. Sec. Rds. 155 & 22, Floydale vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique|| Left Elevation
Detail of Chinking
Virtually unaltered since its construction in 1942 by J.L. King (date and name scratched in the chinking on the fašade), the Smith Barn is an excellent example of the tobacco barns built in Marion and Dillon Counties between ca. 1895 and the 1950s. The Smith Barn is a five -“room” wooden barn with a metal-covered gable roof and a brick foundation. The walls up to the eaves are hewn timber and mortar chinking. The gable ends are weatherboarded and contain rectangular openings with wooden doors. Metal-roofed sheds supported by wooden posts are attached to the fašade and left and right elevation. The fašade and rear elevations have wood plank doors. There is a brick double arched firebox on the left elevation. The original flues used for ventilation are still in place. The Smith Barn retains all of the basic characteristics of a traditional tobacco barn, a rapidly disappearing historic resource, and was the most intact barn identified in the two counties. Listed in the National Register December 4, 1984.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Flue-Cured Tobacco Production Properties includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.