|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Selkirk Farm, Dillon County (Old Cashua Ferry Rd., Bingham vicinity)
|Facade||Right Elevation|| Interior-
Fireplace and Mantel
(Rev. James A. Cousar House) Selkirk Farm, built in 1858, was the home of Reverend James A. Cousar and has continuously been occupied by his descendants. The house is near the site of Reedy Creek Presbyterian Church where Reverend Cousar had his first ministry. Reverend Cousar was noted for his work with black congregations, such as helping them organize new congregations and build their own churches. The original portion of Selkirk Farm was built by Case Cousar, Reverend Cousar’s slave. Six pieces of the original furniture made by Case are still in the house, as well as original mantles, wainscoting, and moldings. The house is a one-story clapboard Greek Revival cottage of heart pine. The front of the house is in its original condition except for the brick steps and concrete underpinning that are twentieth century additions. The pedimented porch with four square columns and low wooden railings frames the central two-thirds of the fašade. The house rests on brick foundation pillars, about three feet above the ground. Additions made in the rear of the house between 1880 and 1910 have almost doubled the depth of the structure. The property contains an antebellum cotton gin and a well. Listed in the National Register July 24, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.