|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Dillon County Courthouse, Dillon County (301 West Main St., Dillon)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation|
Dillon County Courthouse is the first and only courthouse to serve Dillon County, which was formed by an act of the state legislature 5 February 1910 from the upper portion of Marion County. The courthouse was built in 1911. William Augustus Edwards, A.I.A., was the architect; J.A. Jones was the contractor. The courthouse is a monumental brick and stone Neo-Classical building with a central colossal Ionic portico in antis and two flanking wings. The composition of the building reflects its cross-axis plan, with central, axial entrances on all four elevations, and the offices in the four quandrants defined by the two axial halls. The courtroom is on the second floor, along the longitudinal axis, and furthers the architectural symbolism of the exterior. The elevations are unified by the discipline of the Ionic portico, which imposes its order on all elements of each elevation. Heraldic devices and tabernacle frames embellish the fašade. The portico is executed in stone. Four massive, unfluted Ionic columns with pilaster responds feature Scamozzi Ionic capitals with festoons suspended from the volutes. The columns support a major entablature, also executed in stone. The portico is on a stone basement story, which girds the entire building. The walls are brick, with every sixth brick course recessed to simulate rustication. Listed in the National Register October 30, 1981.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Courthouses in South Carolina Designed by William Augustus Edwards includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.