|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
James W. Dillon House, Dillon County (1302 West Main St., Dillon)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique|
The James W. Dillon House, a significant, historical landmark in Dillon County, is representative of Victorian architecture and the town’s founding. Built in 1890, this two-story, white frame house was the home of James W. Dillon, founder of the town and man for whom the county was named. A one-story veranda extends across the fašade and three-fourths of the southeast elevation. Other notable details include lattice work beneath the veranda’s cornice, carved posts with cornice braces, scalloped shingles in gables, and an ornate front gable decorated with gingerbread trim, rectangular louvers, and oval window with sunburst design. In 1888, Dillon acquired forty acres of land in what is now the city of Dillon. Simultaneously the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company began plans for extending its rail line from Wilson, North Carolina to the Pee Dee region of South Carolina. Dillon offered the railroad company fifty percent interest in his land if it would route the railroad through this forty-acre tract. After the contract was signed, a depot was established, and the proposed town of Dillon became a reality. In 1910, when Dillon County was formed from the upper section of Marion County, citizens of the new county voted to name it for James W. Dillon. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.