|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Catfish Creek Baptist Church, Dillon County (jct. of S.C. Sec. Rds. 1741 & 1763, Latta vicinity)
|Facade||Right Elevation||Left Rear Oblique|| Interior
Catfish Creek Baptist Church typifies the significant Baptist tradition in the South Carolina Pee Dee region established by the Welsh Baptists who migrated from Pennsylvania (now part of Delaware) in 1735. In 1802, another congregation, taking the name Catfish, was formed farther upstream from the location of the original Catfish Church, a branch of the Welsh Neck Church. This congregation, the oldest church congregation in Dillon County, built a crude, log church on this site that was replaced, within a decade, by a clapboard building constructed of cypress. In 1849, the cypress church became too small and a larger structure was built which was in use until completion of the present sanctuary in 1883. The present 1883 structure, constructed of pine, is 60 feet long and 40 feet wide. The fašade consists of a centrally placed, stilted arch entrance with two, four-panel sliding doors which become recessed into the wall when opened. Side walls have twenty-four pane, rectangular windows identical to those of the fašade. The interior remains largely unchanged. Pews of side aisles are unusual in that they are attached to the wainscoting. Convex walls on either side of the altar provide space for baptismal dressing rooms. An educational building, constructed in 1948, adjoins the sanctuary. The present brick steps and brick portico with pediment and four supporting columns were added in 1970. Listed in the National Register January 17, 1975.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.