South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Dove Dale, Darlington County (Address Restricted)
S1081771605101 S1081771605102 S1081771605103 S1081771605104 S1081771605105
Facade Right Elevation Left Rear
Left Rear
Main Entrance
S1081771605106 S1081771605107 S1081771605108 S1081771605109 S1081771605110
Central Hall
Facing Rear
of House
Free Standing
Column in Hall
Newel Post
Second Floor

Dove Dale is significant for its association with the establishment, growth, and development of the Dovesville community from the beginning of the nineteenth century through the first quarter of the twentieth century, and for its long association with six generations of the Dove family, for whom Dovesville is named. It is also an excellent and relatively intact example of an early nineteenth century plantation farmhouse with later nineteenth and early twentieth century alterations. It retains a significant percentage of its historic floor plan and other historic materials, architectural elements and other character-defining features. This one-and-one-half-story frame double-pile, spraddle-roofed house, built according to family and local tradition as early as ca. 1805, exhibits architecture typical of moderate plantation farmhouses built in the tidewater and coastal plain of the Carolinas in the early nineteenth century. The house features a front porch with six slightly tapered, solid wood piers, four brick chimneys, twenty-eight windows, and three exterior doors. The long shed-roofed dormer on the front roof slope and the porch piers are thought to date from some time before 1898. The double-leaf, two-paneled front door has sidelights and a transom, as does its matching double-leaf rear door at the opposite end of the long central hall. The rear door once accessed an inset or in antis porch. None of the original outbuildings survive. A small fish pond is an early landscape feature of the front lawn. The agricultural fields that provide setting for the house, yard and grove extend to the north, east and south. These fields have continued under cultivation for two hundred years. Listed in the National Register February 22, 2007.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.