v

South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Hartsville Community Center and Hartsville Community Market, Darlington County (Fifth St., between College and Home Aves., Hartsville)
S1081771604701 S1081771604702 S1081771604703 S1081771604704 S1081771604705
Hartsville Community
Center
Facade
Hartsville Community
Center
Facade Detail
Hartsville Community
Market
Facade
Hartsville Community
Market
Left Oblique
Hartsville Community
Market
Right Oblique

The Hartsville Community Center complex, consisting of the Hartsville Community Center and the adjacent Hartsville Community Market, is significant both as an excellent example of Art Deco architecture in the state and for its association with New Deal era public projects in South Carolina during the 1930s. The Community Center and Community Market were built in 1935-36 utilizing federal loans from the Public Works Administration. The buildings were designed by architects Lafaye and Lafaye of Columbia, and built by contractors Wheatley and Mobley of Augusta, Georgia. The Hartsville Community Center is a two-story, rectangular plan building with a flat roof and parapet. The building is clad with running bond, red brick and decorative cast-stone trim. The five bay symmetrical fašade features reeded pilasters with stylized capitals and a central entry bay. The entry bay has cast-stone cladding, pilasters, a pedimented parapet with stylized motifs, and a streamline marquee. The Community Market is a two-story, rectangular plan building with a flat roof and parapet. The building has a common bond, red brick cladding and cast stone trim. Three stepped planes invigorate the five bay asymmetrical fašade. The fašade features brick pilasters with stylized cast-stone capitals. The building has a central primary entrance set within a cast-stone surround. Listed in the National Register June 4, 1997.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Hartsville, ca. 1817-ca. 1941 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.