|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hartsville Armory, Darlington County (539 W. Carolina Ave., Hartsville)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Facade Detail|
The Hartsville Armory, constructed in 1939-1940, is an excellent example of the National Guard armories built during the period, designed with Art Moderne influences and built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) during the late 1930s and early 1940s. The armory was designed by architect Heyward S. Singley (1902-1959) of Columbia. The Hartsville armory was one of several armories Singley designed for the Adjutant General’s office from 1939 to 1944. This two-story, twenty-one bay wide brick building is rectangular in plan and has a flat roof behind stepped and overlayed parapets with a rat-tooth corbeled course and cast stone coping. The building’s horizontality is achieved through the architect’s use of contrasting colors and a series of flat, raised and recessed brick courses which are delineated by cast stone stringcourses that wrap the structure. These stringcourses are further accentuated by being painted white. Below the first string course or water table and above the uppermost stringcourse the brick is laid in Flemish bond. The intermediate three division are laid in common bond with every fifth header course recessed. Listed in the National Register September 8, 1994.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Hartsville, ca. 1817-ca. 1941 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.