|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Robert R. Coker House, Darlington County (1318 W. Carolina Ave., Hartsville)
The Robert R. Coker House is significant as an excellent example of Colonial Revival residential architecture and for its association with Robert R. Coker (1905-1987), prominent Hartsville agriculturalist and businessman who served as president of J.L. Coker and Company and the Coker Pedigreed Seed Company. The house was built in 1938 for Chalmers Butler, postmaster of Hartsville, and was designed by architect C. Hardy Oliver of Darlington; Robert Coker acquired the house in 1941, soon after becoming president of J.L. Coker and Company. This two-story brick residence has a rectangular plan, with a symmetrical five-bay fašade, a lateral gable roof, and an engaged two-story portico supported by six slender square columns. The central entry features a single door with a Colonial Revival pedimented surround with sidelights. The whitewashed brick veneer further contributes to the Colonial Revival character of the residence. There are two exterior end chimneys. A two-story wing was added to the west elevation and a one-story wing was added to the east elevation ca. 1942. Listed in the National Register September 8, 1994.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Hartsville, ca. 1817-ca. 1941 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.