|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Lawton Park and Pavilion, Darlington County (Prestwood Dr., Hartsville)
| Lawton Park
Lawton Park and Lawton Park Pavilion are significant as examples of New Deal era public recreational facilities, funded by the federal government and built by the Works Progress Administration. Lawton Park, built 1939-1941, was planned as early as 1938. The park is a wooded, 3.5 acre, public recreation area including a swimming area, playground, picnic area, and tennis courts. The park includes three buildings: a pavilion, shed and keeper’s house. The keeper’s house has been extensively altered and does not contribute to the historic character of the park. The pavilion is an excellent example of a public recreational structure showing Colonial Revival influence. It is a frame, rectangular plan, two-story building with a hip roof and cupola. Bathhouse facilities including locker rooms and showers are located on the ground floor. The second floor consists of one large open room designed for dances and community activities. All four elevations feature bands of grouped windows at the second floor. Louvered vents are located immediately below the windows and also at the first floor. The fašade is characterized by a central entry portico with paired slender Tuscan columns and flanking brick stairs. Listed in the National Register May 3, 1991.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Hartsville, ca. 1817-ca. 1941 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.