|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
J. B. Gilbert House, Darlington County (200 Fairfield Terrace, Hartsville)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Left Elevation||Left Rear Oblique|
|Right Rear Oblique||Main Entrance|| Right Elevation
| Rear Elevation
The J.B. Gilbert House is significant as an excellent example of an early twentieth century Tudor Revival residence; as a design of J. Carroll Johnson, a prominent Columbia architect of the twentieth century; and for its association with John Barton Gilbert (1891-1953), a prominent Hartsville manufacturer and businessman. The house was built in 1929 by Gilbert, who came to Hartsville in 1919 from Alabama, where he had been a buyer from Avondale Mills. He was brought to Hartsville by Charles W. Coker, president of the Southern Novelty Company, later Sonoco Products Company. Gilbert served Sonoco first as a salesman, then an accountant, and finally as corporate treasurer. In addition to his work for Sonoco, Gilbert helped establish the Cornish Company in 1922. The house is a two-story brick residence with an irregular plan and asymmetrical fašade. It has a cross gable slate roof with two additional lower cross gables. Tall interior chimneys have decorative chimney pots. The red brick cladding is highlighted with limestone trim, decorative ironwork, half timbering, and herringbone brickwork in the gables. An integral garage is located at the right rear elevation. Listed in the National Register May 3, 1991.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Hartsville, ca. 1817-ca. 1941 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.