South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

C. K. Dunlap House, Darlington County (1346 W. Carolina Ave., Hartsville)
S1081771603201 S1081771603202 S1081771603203
Facade Rear Facade Facade Detail

The C.K. Dunlap House is significant as an excellent example of an early twentieth century Colonial Revival residence; as a design of Willis Irvin, a prominent regional architect of the early twentieth century; and for its association with Charles Kirkland Dunlap (1886-1972), prominent Hartsville engineer and executive at Sonoco Products Company. The house was built in 1934, and is a two-story residence with a rectangular plan, lateral gable slate roof, and interior end chimneys. It has a symmetrical five bay core fašade flanked by one-story lateral gable wings. The fašade features a two-story pedimented portico with balcony tier, four square columns, and lunette in the gable. A modillion cornice accents the core fašade and portico. The wings feature a simple brick dentil course and frieze. The garden fašade features a pedimented central bay, central entry within an elaborate broken pediment surround. Dunlap was teaching mathematics in the Hartsville public schools in 1916, when Charles W. Coker hired him to work for the Southern Novelty Company. After serving as a lieutenant of artillery in France during World War I, Dunlap was secretary and chief engineer of the company 1919-1942. Listed in the National Register May 3, 1991.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Hartsville, ca. 1817-ca. 1941 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.