|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
E. W. Cannon House and Store, Darlington County (612 West Home Avenue, Hartsville)
|Facade||Left Elevation|| Outbuilding
| E. W. Cannon
The E.W. Cannon House and Store are significant as representative examples of the residential and commercial development of Hartsville prior to 1890 and for their association with Elihu W. Cannon (1841-1911), prominent Hartsville farmer and Darlington County politician. The house has architectural integrity from ca. 1880 and incorporates a small one-story ca. 1840 residence built for Isham Linton that now serves as a rear wing. Cannon substantially altered and enlarged the house ca. 1880, and lived here until his death. This two-story residence is of frame construction with weatherboard siding. It has a rectangular plan, lateral gable roof, and two interior ridge brick chimneys with corbeled caps. A one-story hip roof porch extends across the full fašade. The store is located to the rear of the house. Constructed ca. 1870, it is an excellent example of a country store. It is one-and-one-half stories with a rectangular plan and gable roof. The construction is hand-hewn heavy timber frame with log joists and it sits on pole piers. It also served as a post office from 1873 to 1878, when Cannon was Hartsville’s postmaster. The property also includes a ca. 1930 frame garage and a ca. 1880-1900 frame smokehouse. Listed in the National Register May 3, 1991.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Hartsville, ca. 1817-ca. 1941 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.