South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Memorial Hall-General Services Building, Coker College, Darlington County (Second St., Hartsville)
S1081771602801 S1081771602802 S1081771602803 S1081771602804 S1081771602805
Memorial Hall
Facade
Memorial Hall
Left Oblique
Memorial Hall
Right Oblique
Memorial Hall
Main Entrance
Memorial Hall
Left Rear Portico
S1081771602806 S1081771602807 S1081771602808 S1081771602809 S1081771602810
Memorial Hall
Right Rear Portico
General Services
Building
Left Rear Oblique
General Services
Building
Rear Pediment
General Services
Building
Dining Hall
General Services
Building
Dining Hall
Window Detail
S1081771602811        
General Services
Building
Right Rear Oblique

The Memorial Hall/General Service Building at Coker College is architecturally significant as a component of an early twentieth century planned college in South Carolina. Constructed in 1913 and 1916, it is an important, classically influenced design by a prominent South Carolina architectural firm, Wilson and Sompayrac. In addition to its architectural importance the building is also significant for its relationship to Major James Lide Coker, a prominent Hartsville businessman and major benefactor of the college, founded in 1908. The three-story building of masonry construction was constructed in two phases. Memorial Hall, which comprises approximately the north one-third of the building, was constructed in 1913. The Memorial Hall section serves as the primary entrance to the entire buildings. The five bay entrance fašade, marked by a three-bay projecting full-height portico, faces Home Avenue. The pedimented portico, ornamented with block modillions, is supported by four colossal Corinthian columns and two pilasters. In 1916 the porches of Memorial Hall were enclosed as the building was extended to the south. The extension, called the General Service Building, consists of three distinct parts: a central projecting block and two dormitory wings which extent north and south. Listed in the National Register February 9, 1989.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.