South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Wilds-Edwards House, Darlington County (120 Edwards Ave., Darlington)
S1081771602601 S1081771602602 S1081771602603 S1081771602604 S1081771602605
Facade Left Oblique Rear Elevation Main Entrance Interior
South Parlor
S1081771602606 S1081771602607      
Palladian Arch

(Col. Samuel H. Wilds House) The Wilds-Edwards House is significant as one of the few relatively intact antebellum residences remaining in the city of Darlington and as a locally important example of Italianate style. The house is primarily defined by its massive square form, square paneled chimneys, one-story Corinthian columned porches, and profusion of Italianate details. The sophistication of its massing and command of classical details alludes to the formal training of its architect, J.L. Klickner. Built ca. 1856 by Col. Samuel H. Wilds, the Wilds-Edwards house rests on a high masonry foundation. Square in plan, the wood frame residence has a symmetrical roof plan, in the center of which is a square pedestal that may have once been the base of a belvedere or a widow’s walk. Three massive stuccoed chimneys project through the roof. On each elevation there is a one-story porch, the back porch having been partially enclosed ca. 1905 for a kitchen. About 1905, after the creation of Edwards Avenue to the east, the house was modified to have its principal entrance on the east side. Behind the house is the original 19th century kitchen. The house was purchased from the Wilds estate in 1870 by the Hon. Berryman Wheeler Edwards, a prominent Darlington attorney and county senator. His son, Charles B. Edwards, a mayor of Darlington, added electric lights and the arch in the east hall about 1905. Listed in the National Register February 10, 1988.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the City of Darlington, ca. 1830-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.