South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

South Carolina Western Railway Station, Darlington County (129 Russell St., Darlington)
S1081771602401 S1081771602402 S1081771602403 S1081771602404 S1081771602405
Street Side
Street Side
Gable Detail
Right Elevation Right Rear Oblique Chimney Detail
Bracket Detail

(Seaboard Air Line Railroad Station) The South Carolina Western Railway Station is significant for its association with several railway companies that played major roles in Darlington’s economy in the first half of the twentieth century. The station was completed in 1911. Rectangular in plan, the brick building has projecting rectangular bays at the center of its north and south sides. The hipped roof features a bell-cast profile, red clay tile, and wide bracketed eaves. On the north and south slopes of the roof are intersecting gables, each containing a Palladian window and wood shingle siding. Piercing the roof at the ridgeline are two brick interior chimneys, which are paneled. Windows are double-hung, one-over-one, with sandstone sills and lintels. Doors of the asymmetrical north and south elevations are paneled and have operable transoms. The South Carolina Western Railway was chartered in Darlington on August 26, 1910. The rail line from McBee to Darlington was open to service on May 15, 1911, and the passenger station was completed shortly thereafter. Lawrence Reese, a black master carpenter who had constructed many houses in Darlington, built the station. Listed in the National Register February 10, 1988.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the City of Darlington, ca. 1830-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.