|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Manne Building, Darlington County (129 Pearl St., Darlington)
|Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Facade Detail||Pilasters Detail|
The Manne Building, ca. 1892, is significant commercially as one of the most successful mercantile establishments in Darlington during the last decade of the nineteenth century and architecturally as the city’s most substantial and relatively intact pressed metal fašade. The Manne Building was constructed on Pearl Street after the disastrous fire of February 27, 1892, destroyed most of the business portion of the city. The Manne Building is a two-story commercial building with a flat roof. The elaborate pressed metal fašade on the second floor of the masonry building is characterized by sixteen windows separated by paired Corinthian pilasters. Above the second floor windows of the fašade, a profusion of pressed metal Eastlake ornamentation occurs. A modillioned cornice, which is supported by brackets, is situated below the front parapet. The design of the metal parapet is dominated by a central pediment containing the name “M. Manne,” which is flanked by section displaying the date 1892. A modern aluminum and glass storefront on the first floor is divided into two equal sections; early photographs of Darlington indicate a steel framework for supporting canvas awnings on the front of this building. Listed in the National Register February 10, 1988.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the City of Darlington, ca. 1830-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.