South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Edmund H. Deas House, Darlington County (229 Ave. E, Darlington)
S1081771601901 S1081771601902 S1081771601903
Left Oblique Right Oblique Rear Elevation

The Edmund H. Deas House, constructed ca. 1890, is significant in that it reflects the achievements of black politician Edmund H. Deas, the original owner. The house is also significant as an excellent example of the Victorian vernacular style. Deas moved to Darlington County in the 1870s from Statesburg, South Carolina, and became active in Republican politics. He served as county chairman of the Republican Party in 1884 and 1888. He was also a South Carolina delegate to the National Republican Conventions of 1888, 1896, 1900, and 1908. The Eastlake-influenced cottage is a symmetrical, one-story frame dwelling that has shiplap siding, two-over-two windows with shelf architraves, and two stuccoed interior chimneys. Its hip and gable roof features bracketed cornices and pedimented gables. Under the front gables are projecting polygonal bays that have a single window in each face; these polygonal bays that have a single window in each face; these polygonal bays are characterized by scalloped frieze ornamentation and corner gable pendants. Located between the two polygonal bays, the recessed front porch has chamfered post supports and a plain balustrade. Listed in the National Register February 10, 1988.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the City of Darlington, ca. 1830-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.