|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Julius Dargan House, Darlington County (488 Pearl St., Darlington)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Rear Elevation|
The Julius A. Dargan House is significant as one of the few relatively intact antebellum residences remaining in the city of Darlington. The house is defined primarily by its Greek Revival two-story rectangular form, hipped roof, and two-story pedimented portico. The house, built ca. 1856, is a rectangular, two-story weatherboarded residence with interior stuccoed chimneys. The hipped roof over the main section of the building features a boxed cornice, which is decorated with pendant soffit brackets only on the south elevation. In the center of the symmetrical, five bay fašade is a two-tiered, pedimented portico with four square, paneled columns on each floor with those on either corner being answered with a like respond; on each of the two floors of the portico is an arched trellis attached to the central columns, and railings with diagonal and vertical balusters. Julius Alfred Dargan (1815-1861) was born and reared in Darlington. He was a lawyer, a member of the House of Representatives, a trustee of the Darlington Academy, and a signer of the Ordinance of Succession in 1860. Listed in the National Register February 10, 1988.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the City of Darlington, ca. 1830-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.