|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
White Plains, Darlington County (N of S.C. Sec. Rd. 177/NE of S.C. Sec. Rd. 389, Springville)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation||Right Elevation|
(Thomas P. Lide House) White Plains, also known as the Thomas P. Lide House, is one of the most substantial homes in Springville and is the only remaining building of that community west of Black Creek. White Plains is a square, frame, weatherboard-clad residence with a low-pitched hip roof. The foundation, once brick piers, has been infilled with cement block. The house, which is said to have been constructed ca. 1822, has undergone several periods of significant remodeling. The first, in about 1839, was when Thomas P. Lide purchased the house and the second, in the late 1840s or early 1850s was undertaken with the assistance of a northern architect named J.L. Klickner. Much of the ornament and character of the building resulted from the latter effort by Klickner. The house was originally L-shaped. Lide enclosed what was a rear piazza and squared the house by adding a central rear hall. The principle fašade of the house presents a symmetrical handling of the fenestration with five bays on the first story and four on the second. There are three outbuildings in the immediate vicinity of the house; a single-pen log crib with gable roof is probably antebellum, and the other two are of modern construction. Thomas Lide was one of the most active and involved members of the Springville community. He was a member of the state House of Representatives and the Senate, a trustee of Furman University, and director of the Cheraw and Darlington Railroad. Listed in the National Register October 10, 1985.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Springville, ca. 1822-ca. 1856 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.