|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Evan J. Lide House, Darlington County (W of S.C. Sec. Rd. 228/NW of S.C. Hwy 34, Springville)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Main Entrance|
The Evan J. Lide House is significant as one of the six remaining buildings of the rural nineteenth century planter community of Springville. This house is said to have been one of the first permanent residences in what was, up to that time, basically a summer retreat or pineland village. Evan J. Lide, who is believed to have built the house circa 1839, was the son of Hugh Lide, generally considered to be the original settler of the Springville area and to whom the name “Springville” is attributed. Evan J. Lide, a wealthy planter, also owned Back Swamp Plantation, which was the source of his income. Comfortable yet unpretentious, the house reflects the more casual lifestyle of Springville. The house is a rectangular, two-story gable-roofed weatherboard-clad building set on a brick pier foundation with a central hall plan and exterior gable end chimneys. The facing fašade contains a full-width, one-story, shed-roofed porch supported by square, solid pine posts overhung by a wide boxed cornice. Listed in the National Register October 10, 1985.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Springville, ca. 1822-ca. 1856 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.