|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Davidson Hall, Coker College, Darlington County (College Ave., Hartsville)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Left Rear Oblique|
Davidson Hall, located on the campus of Coker College, was constructed ca. 1909-1910, with funds donated by the college’s founder, Major James Lide Coker. Major Coker, noted Hartsville industrialist, merchant, banker and agriculturalist, founded Coker College to provide quality education for women and to extend cultural opportunities to the Pee Dee region. Davidson Hall is significant for its association with Major Coker’s philanthropy and it is important in the history of education in the Pee Dee. It was the first building constructed for Coker College and it became the symbol of the school; its fašade is incorporated into the college seal. Designed by the prominent South Carolina firm of Wilson, Sompayrac, and Urquhart, the two-story, brick educational building is enhanced by Neo-Classical details and stands out as one of Hartsville’s finest buildings. The hall is a rectangular plan brick building laid in common bond. It has a hip roof and a projecting semicircular auditorium on the rear elevation. The central portion of the fifteen bay fašade features a projecting, two-story, pedimented portico, which is supported by six stuccoed Ionic columns with scamozzi capitals. A cornice embellished with dentil molding encircles the entire building. Listed in the National Register November 10, 1983.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.