|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
J. L. Coker Company Building, Darlington County (Fifth St. and Carolina Ave., Hartsville)
|Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Left Oblique||Facade Detail||Transom Detail|
|Bronze Entablature||Bronze Entablature||Store Plaque|
The J.L. Coker Company Building is a large brick commercial building designed by architect Charles Coker Wilson and built for the J.L. Coker Company in 1909-1910. The building is significant in the commercial history of Hartsville and the surrounding community. The building is also significant architecturally as an exceptional commercial building designed by one of the state’s leading architects. The J.L. Coker Company was founded ca. 1865 by Major J.L. Coker. The J.L. Coker Company Building is a one-story brick building with a brick warehouse addition on its south and southeast elevations. The building covers an area of approximately one acre. The brickwork is Flemish bond and the roof is a flat built-up type. The fašade is defined by an eleven bay arcade whose segmental arches enclose the display bays and entrances. There are four entrances on the fašade; two in the left bays, one in the center, and one on the right. The central entrance has interior and exterior canopies with scroll brackets sheltering double doors. The display windows in the brick arches are filled with opaque glass block. Above the arcade is a bronze entablature which spans the breadth of the building and unifies the fašade. Listed in the National Register February 9, 1983.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.