|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hartsville Passenger Station, Darlington County (114 S. 4th St., Hartsville)
|Left Elevation|| Rear Elevation
|Right Elevation|| Rear Elevation
(Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Depot; Hartsville Depot) Hartsville’s former passenger station, constructed 1908 by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company, stands as a visual reminder of the railroad and its role in the growth and development of the town of Hartsville. The station is a one-story structure typical of early 20th century railroad design. The slate roof is hipped with a deep overhang which is supported by large wooden brackets. There are three dormers with semicircular louvers on both the front and rear of the structure. There are also three interior chimneys of varying proportions which pierce the roof at its crest. Opening onto the exterior are six single doors and two double doors, all with rectangular transoms. In 1940, with the decline of passenger service, Atlantic Coast Line discontinued this line to Hartsville. In 1948 the station became the office for the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company. At this time the slate roof was repaired, new gutters and downspouts were installed, and asbestos shingles were placed over the wood siding. Interior changes were also made to the western (left) section of the station to accommodate the office space. Listed in the National Register June 29, 1976.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.