South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Coker Experimental Farms, Darlington County (S.C. Hwy. 151, Hartsville vicinity)
S1081771600101 S1081771600102
Field Field

(Coker Pedigreed Seed Company) The scientific breeding of hardier, more disease-resistant strains of plant material giving greater yield is at the center of the agricultural revolution of the twentieth century in the United States. The rediscovery, in 1900, of the laws of plant genetics that Austrian Gregor Mendel had discovered and articulated in 1865, has allowed the most remarkable improvements in agricultural production. Whereas in 1900, the average American farmer was producing for himself and about five other people, by the last quarter of the 20th century, he was producing enough for himself and about thirty other people. One of the earliest users of the laws of “Mendelism,” was David R. Coker, who built an extensive program of scientific research and development of pedigree seeds, of new strains of plants which helped to overcome blight and vermin, and of extension services to tens of thousands of farmers. Beginning with thirty experimental cotton plant selections, and methodically applying the latest techniques in the scientific breeding of crops, the work of the Coker Experimental Farms played a great role in the agricultural revolution in the South. The Coker’s Pedigreed Seed Company was organized in 1914 as the farm division of the J.L. Coker & Company. David Coker was the Seed Company’s president. Listed in the National Register October 15, 1966; Designated a National Historic Landmark July 19, 1964.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.