|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Walterboro Library Society Building, Colleton County (801 Wichman St., Walterboro)
The Walterboro Library Society Building, constructed in 1820, is significant in the areas of architecture, literature and history. This building has served since 1820 as a center of literary activity for the Colleton County area. At the time of its nomination, the building was noted as being adaptively used as headquarters for the Colleton County Historical Society. The strong influence of the library society was evidenced by the town boundaries being fixed as “3/4 of a mile in every direction from the Walterboro Library” when Walterboro was incorporated in 1826. The library is a small, white, frame Federal style building with a side-gabled roof. The front fašade’s Palladian-style door surround contains double, four-paneled doors with four-paned sidelights and a simple entablature capped by a fanlight. The sidelights and fanlight, in addition to the standard windows on either side of the entrance, have green louvered shutters. The small building’s remaining elevations each contain a similar Palladian-style window with green louvered shutters. Listed in the National Register October 14, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.