|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Old Colleton County Jail, Colleton County (Jeffries St., Walterboro)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Oblique, Detail|
The Old Colleton County Jail is a stuccoed brick building built in 1855-56 by J. and B. Lucas of Charleston in the Gothic Revival style. The building is significant architecturally as a fine example of Gothic design in a cultural area where Gothic architecture is a rarity. Its architects, Edward C. Jones and Francis D. Lee, were well known in Charleston and throughout the state. They were in high demand at this time, with designs including courthouses, churches, college buildings, businesses and private residences all over South Carolina. The jail in part resembles a miniature, fortified castle. The front facade has crenellated parapets, turret-like structures at either corner, and a massive central tower above the main entrance. The main entrance is shielded by an extended, enclosed porch with buttresses and a central pointed archway entrance at the front and narrow slit windows on the sides. A large lancet window with hood mold is set in the massive central tower above the main entrance. Hood molds also accent the remaining windows on the front fašade. Listed in the National Register May 14, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
Images provided by the