|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hickory Valley Historic District, Colleton County (Walterboro)
|Paul House||318 Wichman St.||334 Wichman St.||Jones-Daniel House||Klien House|
|507 Wichman St.||Elmore-Henderson House||125 Magnolia House||Beach-Fogartie House||Edward B. Fishburne House|
|202 Webb St.||205 Valley St.|
The Hickory Valley Historic District is comprised of nineteen properties reflecting the diversity of Walterboro’s heritage. The majority of the properties in the district are residences constructed between 1821 and 1929 which includes a concentration of early homes dating from Walterboro’s heyday as a pineland resort village for lowcountry planters. The architectural styles in the district include Federal, Greek Revival, Victorian carpenter, Neo-Classical and Federal Revival. The district is important historically for its associations with Walterboro’s founders as well as with several generations of prominent Walterboro families. Listed in the National Register November 21, 1980.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Hickory Valley Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.