|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Manning Library, Clarendon County (211 N. Brooks St., Manning)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation|| Interior
(Clarendon County Public Library; Hannah Levi Memorial Library) The Manning Library was constructed between 1909 and 1910 and is architecturally significant as a local interpretation of the Classical Revival style. The one-story brick structure is set on a raised basement and is stuccoed on the front and side facades beneath the water table. Brickwork is stretcher bond. Symmetrical in form, the library features an encircling granite entablature, a brick parapet with molded cap and a tin-roofed dome. Each of the four facades is divided into two side bays and a larger central bay; the fašade is divided by four engage pilasters which are broken by the entablature buy reappear on the parapet above. The front fašade is dominated by a pedimented Roman Doric portico projecting outward from the central bay and around which the entablature continues unbroken. The library is also important both as the first public library in Clarendon County and for its associations with locally prominent individuals. In 1905, local attorney and financier Abraham Levi gave a one thousand-dollar donation toward building the library. The Levi children requested that the library be named in memory of their mother, Hannah Levi. It is believed that the prominent architectural firm Shand & Lafaye, of Columbia, South Carolina built the Manning Library, adding further to its architectural significance. Listed in the National Register July 10, 1979.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.