|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Davis House, Clarendon County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 63, Manning vicinity)
|Facade||Portico Detail||Main Entrance||Left Oblique||Left Rear Oblique|
|Right Rear Oblique||Chimney Detail||Window Detail||Frame Outbuilding||Treelined Driveway|
(El Recuerdo) The Davis House is believed to have been built ca. 1843 for Edward Bertrand Davis. The house is a good example of a vernacular antebellum plantation house characterized by Greek Revival elements and is also associated with Davis, a locally known planter and militia officer. In 1853, Davis raised the Black River Troop of the 5th Regiment of the South Carolina Militia and served as its captain until 1858 when he was elevated to the command of the Fifth Regiment. He headed this regiment until his death in 1860. The Davis House is a two-story, frame house with a heavy timber braced frame weatherboard sheathing, and a gabled roof. The foundations are brick piers. The rear or east elevation has one-story, gabled-roofed ells at either side, connected to the main block by shed-roofed connectors. The fašade features a central, two-tiered portico with four pillars on each level, a plain balustrade, and a pedimented gable roof. The boxed cornice is carried around the entire house and is raked in the gable ends. Enclosed brick chimneys are located at the north and south ends of the house. These chimneys have recessed stuccoed panels on all faces. The broad entrance hall features a double staircase which rises at each side of the hall and merges at a back landing where a single flight rises to the second floor. An original frame, gabled roof and gabled porch outbuilding on the property is intact, although the original use of the building is unknown. Listed in the National Register January 13, 1983.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.