|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Seaboard Air Line Railway Depot in Patrick, Chesterfield County (Winburn St., Patrick)
|Facade Trackside|| Left Oblique
The Seaboard Air Line Railway depot, built sometime in the last half of 1900 or the early months of 1901, was the cornerstone of Patrick, one of several flagstop towns that developed along the Seaboard Railroad line between Columbia and Cheraw. The development of the town exemplified the process by which railroads penetrated the Sandhills region of the southern United States in the last decades of the nineteenth century, reshaping a landscape that had long be predominantly rural, sparsely populated, and generally isolated. In addition, the depot is an excellent example of a small-town railroad station, a specific building type that became commonplace across the nation as the railroad industry reached its peak in the decades between 1880 and 1930. The building is a one-and-one-half story frame building with a simple rectangular plan. It is covered by a moderately pitched roof clad in pale green asphalt shingles and two small, red brick chimneys rise from its peak. Facing the tracks on the northeast and southeast are signs that proudly announce “Patrick.” Today the depot remains as much the center of the town as it was in the early twentieth century. Listed in the National Register February 22, 1999.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.