South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Dr. Thomas E. Lucas House, Chesterfield County (716 W. Main St., Chesterfield )
S1081771300301 S1081771300302 S1081771300303 S1081771300304 S1081771300305
Facade Right Oblique Right Elevation Right Rear Oblique Rear Elevation
S1081771300306 S1081771300307 S1081771300308 S1081771300309 S1081771300310
Left Elevation Interior
Central Hall
Interior
Parlor Mantel
Interior
Bedroom Mantel
Outbuilding
Smokehouse
S1081771300311        
Outbuilding
Gazebo

The Dr. Thomas E. Lucas House is a two-story frame house built ca. 1868. The house has a central-hall plan, a three-bay fašade, and a one-story porch across the fašade. A medium pitched gable roof is covered with composition shingles. The house has a one-story wing at the rear. The central doorway has four paneled sidelights and a transom. An antebellum smokehouse, a ca. 1885 gazebo (originally used as a hothouse), and several other outbuildings are located on the spacious, tree-shade grounds. The house is associated with Dr. Thomas E. Lucas, a farmer, physician and politician. In 1864 Lucas resigned his position as a lieutenant in Company A in the Fifteenth Battalion, South Carolina Artillery, to serve in the South Carolina House of Representatives. According to Lucas’s granddaughter, Dorothy Cannon Gibbons, the residence was constructed with money Lucas earned as a physician for Union troops stationed in Chesterfield after the Civil War. Tradition also states that former Confederate soldiers returning from the war individually carved the home’s unique interior mantels. This house is representative of the typical residences of the nineteenth century: a two-story, central-hall farmhouse facing the main street with extensive lands around and behind the structure. Listed in the National Register May 4, 1982.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Chesterfield, ca. 1798-1937 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.