|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Great Falls Depot, Chester County (Republic St., Great Falls)
|Right Oblique||Left Elevation||Facade Detial||Facade Bay Detail|
(Seaboard Air Line Railway Depot) The Great Falls Depot, constructed in 1911-1912, was designed in 1911 by A.H. Williamson with the Office of Chief Engineer, Seaboard Air Line Railway. Located on the banks of Great Falls Pond, the building is an example of the prevailing turn-of-the-century genre for depot design. Rectangular in plan, the one-story building features a prominent, asphalt shingled hip roof which covers the original metal shingled roof. The eaves extend six feet beyond the building and are supported by thirty-six massive, decorative wooden brackets. Wall material consists of oriental red brick laid in stretcher bond. The railroad played a principle role in the development of the town. In September 1905, the Southern Power Company built a ten-mile railroad from Fort Lawn to Great Falls in order to transport rocks to construct a dam on the Great Falls Pond, which would provide hydroelectric power to the surrounding community. The line came under the ownership of Seaboard Air Line Railway in 1909. Because the town was growing and the cotton mill required more transportation of goods, plans for a new depot were made, which would replace the old depot—an old freight car on wooden blocks. The design of the waiting room area exemplifies the prevailing early twentieth century practice of separate accommodations for blacks and whites. Listed in the National Register November 25, 1980.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.