South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Lewis Inn, Chester County (off S.C. Hwy. 909, Lewis vicinity)
S1081771200301 S1081771200302 S1081771200303 S1081771200304 S1081771200305
Facade Left Oblique Left Elevation Right Oblique Right Elevation

This fine example of log construction with many original features, built about 1750, is one of very few remaining in South Carolina. The inn was a tavern during Colonial and Revolutionary days, and also a stagecoach stop. It was made famous in 1807 when Aaron Burr, the captured vice president of the United States, slayer of Alexander Hamilton, spent the night there on his way to Richmond for trial on charges of treason. Legend has it that Burr escaped briefly because a bribed maid left his bedroom door unlatched. The inn is a “matched” two-story house of dovetailed logs pinned together and chinked with clay, covered with clapboard, and re-covered with brown shingles in 1923. It has a lateral gable roof, with exterior end chimneys, and a one-story right wing. The matching sections - back is a one-story ell; the other is a front shed-roof porch which extends across the fašade to the wing. The interior features tongue and groove paneling, large hand-carved mantels, wide board doors with wrought iron hinges, and a narrow stairway leading to a second floor hallway on which two bedrooms open. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.