|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Shiloh Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Cherokee County (Elm St., .9 mi. S. of U.S. 29, Grover, NC vicinity)
|Overview|| Overview with
| Col. Frederick
|Elizabeth Dover Grave|
|Jacob Randell Grave||Frederic Morrow Grave||Elizabeth B. Price Grave||Jefferson Hambright Grave|
|Josiah Hambright Grave||Charles Christmast Grave|
The Shiloh Presbyterian Church Cemetery, located on both sides of the North Carolina-South Carolina state line, was established in 1780 in conjunction with the construction of the Shiloh Meeting House, the building in which the Shiloh Presbyterian Church congregation held its earliest services, and the burial of Revolutionary War hero William Patterson, who died on October 5, 1780, the day of the Battle of Kings Mountain, and was the first person interred at the cemetery. The cemetery is the oldest burying ground in the southeast section of Cleveland County, North Carolina, serving the Shiloh Presbyterian Church’s congregation and area settlers until the last person was interred at the cemetery in 1916. The cemetery is significant as a small, rural church cemetery with gravestones of artistic value. The majority of the gravestones possess the distinctive craftsmanship of noted York County, South Carolina stonecutters John Caveny, Robert C. Caveny, James Crawford, William N. Crawford and Robert M. Crawford. These gravestones were made from greenish schist and soapstone quarried from the Kings Mountain in South Carolina from 1780s to the 1820s, and marble blanks purchased from Charleston and Columbia from the 1830s to the 1870s. There is a combination of tombstone forms such as semicircular- and segmental-arched with rounded caps, discoidal shoulders, pointed arches, or beaded edges, and tombstones with tympanums with nineteenth-century motifs such as quarter sunbursts, eight-pointed compass stars, willow trees, hearts, and trees of life. The nominated property includes 104 gravestones in the North Carolina section of the property, and four gravestones in the South Carolina section. Listed in the National Register December 22, 2011.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.