|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Thicketty Mtn. Ore Pits, Cherokee County (Address Restricted)
|No Photos Available|
The ore pits located adjacent to Thicketty Mountain are some of the best observed examples of open pit mining operations in the area. These ore pits are also the best preserved examples that can be associated with the South Carolina Manufacturing Company, a major iron manufacturing company that operated in Spartanburg County between c. 1825 and c.1850. They are important as a well-defined and concentrated set which could be both easily preserved as well as systematically studied. The iron ore pits or surface mines at Thicketty Mountain cover several forested acres along a gently sloping ridge and are generally depressions about two to three meters deep and about five to ten meters across. These depressions are the remnants of pit mines that have had some natural backfill since the 1850’s when they were last operational. The mines being are preserved because of forest growth and lack of landscape modifying activities such as farming; other nearby mines in non-forested areas have been totally backfilled by agricultural activity. Listed in the National Register May 8, 1987.
View the redacted text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition the Historic Resources of Early Ironworks of Northwestern South Carolina includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.