|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
King’s Creek Furnace Site Cherokee County (Address Restricted)
|No Photos Available|
The King’s Creek Furnace Site is one of two remaining sites that can be associated with the King’s Mountain Iron Company, a major iron manufacturing company that operated in present day Cherokee County from c.1815 to c.1860. The other site is Jackson’s Furnace Site in York County. The well-preserved furnace has the potential to yield important technological, stylistic, and construction related information about early furnaces. Along with the few other well preserved furnaces in the region, this site's furnace also has the potential to yield important information concerning the variability present across the region if viewed comparatively with other furnaces. The site contains a partially collapsed but well-preserved c.1838 furnace and associated features. These include: retaining walls, sluiceway, stone dam abutments, stone building foundations, large piles of slag, a large levee along the creek bank composed primarily of slag, and remains of the site’s log frame dam, which is still preserved partially buried in the creek bed. Listed in the National Register May 8, 1987.
View the redacted text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition the Historic Resources of Early Ironworks of Northwestern South Carolina includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.