|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Ellen Furnace Site , Cherokee County (Address Restricted)
|No Photos Available|
Ellen Furnace Site is directly associated with the nearby Susan Furnace Site. Both were outlying furnace operations associated with the manufacturing complex at Coopersville owned by the Nesbitt Company and later the Swedish Ironworks. The Coopersville Ironworks along with the Susan and Ellen Furnaces were developed between 1835 and 1843 by the Nesbitt Iron Manufacturing Company, the largest iron manufacturing company in South Carolina. The Nesbitt Company was dissolved in the late 1840s, and the Swedish Iron Manufacturing Company of South Carolina operated the ironworks from 1850 until the Civil War. Due to its fine state of preservation and association with other contemporaneous sites nearby, Ellen Furnace has the potential to yield important information about inter-site and intra-site patterning and variability. The site includes a partially collapsed but well-preserved ca. 1838 furnace constructed of quarried stone and two earthen sluiceways. Also present are building foundations, tramway road beds, and ore mines. Listed in the National Register May 8, 1987.
View the redacted text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition the Historic Resources of Early Ironworks of Northwestern South Carolina includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.