|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Jefferies House, Cherokee County (306 S. Granard St., Gaffney)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation||Right Elevation|
The Jeffries House is one of the oldest and most significant residences remaining in Gaffney. The house is the work of local builder Leander Baker and is the best example of the residential Italianate style in Gaffney. It was built in 1884 for prominent planter and landowner Colonel Samuel Jeffries, who owned over 10,000 acres of land in and around Gaffney. The house is a two-story, frame, Italianate style building. The house is asymmetrical in design with a large one-story porch on the main fašade. This porch has chamfered posts, milled brackets, drop pendants, and a spindled railing. The main entrance has double door with arched inset glass panels and Eastlake design woodwork. Also one the main fašade is a one-story square bay window which has decorative brackets. On the right elevation is a two-tiered porch with rectangular posts, sawtooth vergeboard and a spindled railing. Windows are arched four-over-four sashes with Italianate pedimented surrounds. Jeffries was prominent in political affairs and donated land for the site of the first city hall. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Gaffney, ca. 1820-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.