South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Winnie Davis Hall, Cherokee County (1115 College Dr., Gaffney)
S1081771100301 S1081771100302 S1081771100303
Facade Right Elevation Left Elevation

(Winnie Davis School of History) An excellent example of the Late Gothic Revival style of architecture, Winnie Davis Hall was completed ca. 1904 on the campus of Limestone College, a college for women that was established in the mid-1800s. The building was named in honor of Jefferson Davis’s daughter and designed as a repository for records related to the Civil War. It was also to serve as a center for the promotion of the study of southern history and literature. The building is a two-and-one-half story brick structure set upon a raised basement. It consists of two major axes which intersect in the center at right angles. Rising above the point of intersection is a Gothic-style octagonal tower. Each side of the tower has a multipaned window with Gothic tracery above which is a label molding. Two stone belt courses encircle the tower which is also distinguished by a stone cornice and crenellated parapet above. A ca. 1930 gabled dormer window was added to each side. Outstanding interior features include an open octagonal skylighted well that extends from the basement to the third floor, a double staircase in the foyer, and mullioned windows with plate tracery. Listed in the National Register April 29, 1977.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.