|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Moultrieville Historic District, Charleston County (Sullivan's Island)
| King House
1111 Middle St.
| Waring-Salmons House
1109 Middle St.
| Judge Brawley
1105 Middle St.
| Cosgrove House
1102 Middle ST.
|1204 Middle St.|
| Stella Maris
1204 Osceola Ave.
|1118 Osceola Ave.||1102 Osceola Ave.||1010 Osceola Ave.|
The Moultrieville Historic District is a relatively small collection of “island houses” that are located on the west end of Sullivan’s Island. The district includes eighteen contributing buildings and one contributing site. All but one of the buildings are now residences, with the remaining building being Stella Maris Catholic Church, and the site is a small memorial park. There are also five noncontributing residences in the district. The period of significance for the district extends from circa 1830 through circa 1930 and reflects the construction dates of its earliest and latest contributing extant buildings. The district includes houses from the earliest period of resort housing on the island. The architectural character of the traditional residential architecture of Sullivan’s Island is directly related to the island’s historic role as a resort community primarily serving nearby Charleston. Most of the island’s houses were originally constructed as seasonal summertime dwellings. The fact that they were most often not their owner’s primary residences affected the design and construction of the houses and often resulted in evolutionary construction. The climate on the island is also a harsh one for the predominantly frame construction of the houses, as they are subjected to extreme sun, high humidity, prevailing coastal breezes, and occasional hurricanes. Ranging from simple transient vernacular cottages to more elaborate permanent dwellings, each house reflects not only the personality of its original owners but also the changing tastes of subsequent owners and adaptations that were made in response to deterioration and damages brought on by climatic conditions. All of these factors have resulted in an eclectic mix of housing types that somehow manages to blend together with their landscape to form the island’s unique built environment. Listed in the National Register September 6, 2007.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Moultrieville Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Sullivan's Island includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.