|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Fort Moultrie Quartermaster and Support Facilities Historic District, Charleston County (Sullivan's Island)
1450-1454 Middle St.
1504 Middle St.
1610 Middle St.
| Dispensary/BR>Provost Marshal
1617 Middle St.
1618 Middle St.
The Fort Moultrie Quartermaster and Support Facilities Historic District is a relatively small collection of buildings located on the western end of Sullivan’s Island. Most of the buildings are currently used as single or multiple dwellings; one is city hall; and two are used for storage. The district includes buildings constructed by the Quartermaster Corp. and as service facilities for Fort Moultrie during its expansion from 1897 through 1947. Work on Fort Moultrie resumed in 1897 largely as a result of growing tensions between the United States and Spain. The Quartermaster facilities were grouped toward the center of the fort. The Quartermaster and Support facilities Historic District includes ten contributing resources constructed between circa 1900 and 1930 to serve Fort Moultrie. Included in the district are a Non-Commissioned Officers’ Club, the Post Theatre, a Commissary Storehouse, a Barracks, Ordnance Storage and Office, two Quartermaster’s Warehouses, Dispensary/Provost Marshall’s Office, Quartermaster’s Office, and the Quartermaster’s Dock. Listed in the National Register September 6, 2007.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Fort Moultrie Quartermaster and Support Facilities Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Sullivan's Island includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.