South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Charleston Navy Yard Historic District, Charleston County (North Charleston)
S1081771017501 S1081771017502 S1081771017503 S1081771017504 S1081771017505
Ship Fitter Shop
1210 Truxtum Ave.
Ship Fitter Shop
1130 Truxtum Ave.
Inside Machine
2081 Hayter St.
General Storehouse
2154 Avenue D
Woodworking Shop
2061 Avenue B
S1081771017506 S1081771017507 S1081771017508 S1081771017509 S1081771017510
Forge Shop
1281 Truxtum Ave.
1360 Truxtum Ave.
Building and
Storage Facility
1361 Truxtum Ave.
Mates' School
1390 Pipefitters St.
Machinist Mates'
School/Pattern and
Electric Shop
1390 Pipefitters St.
S1081771017511 S1081771017512 S1081771017513 S1081771017514 S1081771017515
Clothing Factory
1325 Pipefittes St.
Central Power
1975 N. Hobson Ave.
2301 Avenue D
Shipffiters' Utility
1320 Pipefitters St.
1180 Pierside St.
S1081771017516 S1081771017517 S1081771017518 S1081771017519 S1081771017520
Dry Dock 4
1180 Pierside St.
Storage Shed
2190 N. Hobson Ave.
Pier J Sheetmetal Shop
2051 Avenue B
Riggers' Shop
2030 Hayter St.

The Charleston Navy Yard Historic District is nationally significant as the core collection of historic resources illustrating the establishment, growth, and development of the Charleston Navy Yard (later the Charleston Naval Shipyard and still later the Naval Base Charleston) from 1903 through 1945. The historic district includes 57 contributing historic buildings, structures, and objects associated with the Charleston Navy Yard, which served the United States Navy from 1903 to 1996. The historic resources in the district include machine shops, storage facilities, a power house, drydocks, piers, administrative facilities, and other buildings and structures related to ship construction and repair. Properties contributing to the significance of the district fall into four time periods and associated forms of architectural styles: the Neo-Classical style employed during the establishment and early years of the installation from 1903 to ca. 1910; the Moderne industrial form from the 1910s to the end of World War I; the Moderne construction of federal works projects from the inter-war period; and the largely utilitarian forms prevalent from the emergency period of the late 1930s through the end of World War II. The largest number of resources in the district relate to the shipyard's dramatic development just before and throughout World War II, a period when the Charleston Navy Yard experienced its most significant period of expansion. The primary role of the shipyard during World War II was to build and repair destroyers and destroyer escorts. The vessels constructed at the shipyard are well-documented for their contributions to the eventual Allied victory. At the end of war, the Navy drastically reduced the workload at the Charleston Navy Yard, but the yard was an active installation throughout the Cold War and until 1996. Listed in the National Register August 9, 2006.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Charleston Navy Yard Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.