|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, Charleston County (369 Drayton St., McClellanville)
|Facade||Right Oblique|| Right Rear
|Rear Elevation||Rear Elevation|
|Left Elevation||Main Entrance|
Bethel African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church, built ca. 1872, is significant as an example of late-nineteenth century vernacular Gothic Revival church architecture and as an illustration of the growth of the A.M.E. Church among freedmen in Reconstruction-era South Carolina. Organized in 1867, Bethel A.M.E. was the first African American church in McClellanville. The rectangular building, set upon low brick piers, is approximately 30 x 82 feet, with a pedimented gable-front roof that supports a square-based steeple. The red V-crimp metal-clad steeple roof is steeply pitched, flared, and has narrow gabled Gothic dormers on each face. The Gothic Revival style church is sided with cypress fishscale shingles with the exception of the front bays of both side elevations, which are covered with white asbestos shingles. Windows are four-over-two with a two-light transom. The transom and upper four-light sections are fixed; the lower two-light sash opens outward in an awning-like configuration. Some windows and all transoms retain the original colored panes; most of the windowpanes were replaced in 1989 after Hurricane Hugo. There are blind pointed Gothic arches with chevron wooden panels over each window. The church cemetery, with tombstones dating from the 1880s to the late twentieth century, also contributes to the historic character of the property. Listed in the National Register June 22, 2004.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.