|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Wilkinson-Boineau House, Charleston County (5185 S.C. Hwy. 174, Adams Run)
|Facade||Right Oblique|| Right Rear
|Left Elevation|| Interior
The Wilkinson-Boineau House is significant as an excellent example of an early nineteenth century Greek Revival secondary residence with minor twentieth century alterations. It is also significant as the first house built in a summer planters’ village established ca. 1830 by William Wilkinson, a lowcountry planter in whose honor the community was first named Wilkinsonville. Wilkinson lived for most of the year at his plantation on Swinton Creek, approximately four miles southeast of Adams Run. Milton Carroll Boineau acquired the property in the 1920s. The Boineau’s built a one-story, three-room rear addition and removed a portion of the central hall in the 1930s. The house is a two-story wood frame residence on high brick piers. The original (ca. 1830) portion of the house was a two-story central hall single pile residence with a braced timber frame. A one-story hip-roofed porch, accessed by high brick steps, spans the breadth of the entire fašade. The house has square edge weatherboarding and a tall lateral gable roof with a half-moon louvered vent in each gable end, and dentil molding under the eaves on the fašade and rear elevation. The original windows were nine-over-nine double-hung sash, but were replaced with two-over-two double-hung sash in the 1930s or 1940s. The roof is corrugated metal. Listed in the National Register January 21, 1999.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.