|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Florence Crittenton Home, Charleston County (19 St. Margaret St., Charleston)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique|| Oriel
|Window Detail||Dormer Detail|
The Florence Crittenton Home is significant for its long association with the development of social and child welfare programs in Charleston, and for its statewide leadership in caring for the needs of unmarried mothers and their babies. Since its establishment as the Christlove Mission of the King’s Daughters in 1897, the organization has sheltered women during their pregnancies, provided them with education and employment training, and assisted them to plan for the care of their newborn children. Since 1932 over 10,000 women have stayed in the home on St. Margaret Street. Designed by Charleston architect John D. Newcomer and built between 1924 and 1932, the home is a two and one-half story brick building with a front gable roof, three bay fašade, and two lateral wings with hipped roofs. Gabled dormers are set at the slopes of the wings. Two tiered screened porches extend along the east and west sides of the rear section. The attic level is distinguished by an oriel on braces, with three windows and a hipped roof. Similar braces mark the deep eaves. Listed in the National Register September 25, 1997.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.