|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Coming Street Cemetery, Charleston County (189 Coming St., Charleston)
|Main Entrance||Cemetery Overview||Cemetery Overview|| Gravestone of
with Hebrew Writing
| Gravestones of
and Rebecca Jackson
| Gravestone of
The Coming Street Cemetery, established in 1762, is privately owned by Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim (Holy Congregation of the House of God), a congregation whose synagogue is itself a National Historic Landmark. This cemetery is the oldest Jewish burial ground in the South. It is also significant for its association with the history of the Beth Elohim, a congregation established in 1749 and the birthplace of Reform Judaism in America in 1824; as the chief cemetery for Charleston’s significant Jewish community since the colonial era; and for its fine examples of late-eighteenth century and early nineteenth century gravestone art. The cemetery contains some six hundred marble and brownstone gravestones, most dating from the last half of the eighteenth century or the first half of the nineteenth century. It includes many box tombs, table-top tombs, obelisks, and columns, several of them fine examples of late-eighteenth and nineteenth century gravestone art, and many signed by such prominent local sculptors and stonecutters as A.F. Chevreaux, M. Gannon, G. Rennie, D.A. Walker, Edward R. White, and William T. White. Many gravestones feature Hebrew inscriptions and/or Jewish religious motifs. A perimeter stuccoed brick wall, part of it original, is an important feature of the site and has been a major factor in keeping the cemetery intact for over two hundred years. Listed in the National Register November 5, 1996.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.