South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Frogmore, Charleston County (near int. of S.C. Hwy. 174 & Laurel Hill Rd., Edisto Island)
S1081771015001 S1081771015002 S1081771015003 S1081771015004 S1081771015005
Facade Right Oblique Left Rear
Main Entrance
S1081771015006 S1081771015007      
Trompe d'oeil
Trompe d'oeil

Frogmore Plantation was constructed ca. 1820 by Dr. Edward Mitchell of Waccamaw, when he married Elizabeth Baynard of Edisto Island. The house is significant architecturally and agriculturally as a distinctive remnant of an antebellum sea island cotton plantation. In 1840 Dr. Mitchell operated a plantation of considerable size, at that time he owned a large labor force of 124 slaves. The house is a rectangular, two-story, hip-roofed residence sheathed in weatherboard. The fenestration of the fašade is symmetrical in a five-bay arrangement. There is a one story, five bay, shed-roofed porch, which has chamfered posts and a rail balustrade, across the entire fašade. The ceiling above the porch and main house have boxed cornices. Two large, interior, brick chimneys pierce the roof on the rear slope. The house sits on a raised brick pier foundation. The interior features grained woodwork and pilastered mantels. During the federal occupation of Edisto Island beginning in 1862, the house was used as headquarters for a Colonel More of the 55th Pennsylvania Regiment. Listed in the National Register May 5, 1987.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Edisto Island, ca. 1682 - ca. 1898 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.